To provide you with the best experience on this website, cookies are used. By using the site it's assumed that you're happy with our use of cookies. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. More info on cookies.
Allow cookies

Charity Partner

NewcastleGateshead Initiative is delighted to have a year-long partnership with Bright Red.

NewcastleGateshead Initiative has pledged to use its position within the business community to help charities raise their profiles as well as funds.

Bright Red LogoBright Red, a charity established to improve the lives and treatment of people in the north who are dealing with blood cancer. Through care, research and education they are striving to beat illnesses such as leukaemia, lymphoma, myeloma, myelodysplasia and myeloproliferative diseases

To find out more visit the Bright Red Website

Bright Red helps to improve the lives and treatment of people in the north who are dealing with blood cancer. Through care, research and education we are striving to beat illnesses such as leukaemia, lymphoma and myeloma. 

Part of our goal is to educate people on the different ways they can help a blood cancer patient. 

Blood Cancers

  • Around 30,000 people per year are diagnosed with a blood cancer in the UK.
  • Blood cancers are often categorised as a leukaemia, lymphoma or a myeloma.
  • Anyone from a baby to a grandparent can be diagnosed with a blood cancer.
  • There is a wide variation between treatment for blood cancers. Treatment for some can last for years.
  • Treatment can include chemotheraphy, radiotherapy or bone marrow/stem cell transplants
  •  

Blood donation

  • Blood and platelet transfusions are a regular part of blood cancer treatment.
  • Only 4% of the eligible population donate blood regular.
  • Nearly 50% of blood donations are used to treat either blood cancer patients are patients suffering from blood disorders.
  • For more information on blood donation, please visit http://www.blood.co.uk/.

Stem Cell / Bone Marrow Transplant

  • Some blood cancer patients require a stem cell, or bone marrow transplant.
  • 90% of stem cell donations are done via a process called PBST, which is a process very similar to donating blood.
  • Only 30% of patients in need of a transplant find a match within their family. The remaining 70% rely on strangers.
  • For more information on what’s involved in donation please visit Anthony Nolan’s website here

In This Section