What is a convention bureau?
Many major cities in Britain and around the world will have a ‘convention bureau’. Sometimes they have a different name and may be known as a conference office or convention and visitor bureau (CVB). Whatever they’re called, they exist to promote their city as a place to hold meetings, conferences and business events and to support meeting planners throughout the organising process.
A convention bureau should always be the first point of contact for anyone looking to organise a conference, particularly in a place they are unfamiliar with. It is a ‘one stop shop’ offering impartial, unbiased advice and unrivalled local knowledge in their city, and is the ‘official’ point of contact for all conference organisers.
How can a convention bureau help me?
Convention bureaux provide a whole host of expert services designed to make it easier to hold a successful conference. These include:
- Help to identify the most suitable conference or meeting venue(s)
- Arranging site visits or venue inspections
- Making hotel / accommodation allocations to ensure availability
- Provision of an online delegate accommodation booking service
- Suggestions of local service providers from AV hire and transport to event management and catering
- Advice on planning social events or partner programmes
- Support in negotiating rates with venues and hotels
- Provision of marketing materials to help boost delegate attendance and additional products to add value (e.g. delegate travel cards etc.)
- Useful tips and advice on making the most of the destination
Because a convention bureau works on behalf of a whole city or region rather than an individual venue or supplier, you can rely on the bureau’s support to be impartial. Their team members know their own destination better than anyone else and can provide realistic, relevant and up-to-date information. They can also help you find the places that only a local knows!
How much does it cost?
Conferences, meetings and events provide a real boost to the local economy, so most convention bureaux, including NewcastleGateshead Convention Bureau, make no charge for their services in order to encourage planners to choose their conference destination.
Don’t just take our word for it!
Meeting planners who have recently used the services of NewcastleGateshead Convention Bureau have said:
“Extremely friendly and helpful, you have made finding and booking a venue for our event easy and stress-free - Thank you!”
“It was really helpful to have someone from the Bureau to show me around the venues in Newcastle. Very well organised and helpful staff. Thank you.”
“Thank you for a fantastic service - your help is much appreciated!”
“I can't believe this service is for free!”